Top 10 Accessories for
Whether the Sony FX6 is a new addition to your family of cameras or you’re ready to elevate your current rig to new heights, pairing your FX6 with the right gear and accessories can help you unlock and utilize the power held in its compact form factor.
From must-have rig basics to essential add-on accessories, we at Wooden Camera have compiled a list of the top 10 accessories for the Sony FX6 that will elevate your rig and help you realize your vision on your next shoot.
1. Wooden Camera Sony FX6 Unified Accessory Kit (Base)
This professionally curated base kit provides all the essentials needed for rigging a streamlined build. The base kits from Wooden Camera excel in providing essentials while keeping it compact and lightweight enough to use for handheld shoots. From newcomers to the FX6 to seasoned owners looking to create a simple run and gun rig, the Wooden Camera Sony FX6 Unified Accessory Kit (Base) is a great place to start.
- Provides arrays of 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16 mounting points
- Contours to the camera body
- Leaves room for native Sony handle
- Versatile base plate that can be used with other popular cameras
- Compatible with ARRI-standard dovetails
- Dual quick-release
- Great for adding accessories like follow focuses, matte boxes, lens supports, servo motors, and more
2. Wooden Camera Battery Slide Pro V-Mount/Gold Mount Sony FX6
Custom designed for the Sony FX6, the Wooden Camera Battery Slide Pro attaches directly to the camera without the need for additional rods on your rig. The design retains access to the battery compartment on the FX6 which allows the Sony BPU series battery to be installed, giving the user the ability to hot swap on the fly and keep their rig running for the whole shoot. Each Battery Slide Pro also features 3x D-Tap ports at battery voltage for accessory power and a digital fuse which cuts off accessory outputs should they exceed that voltage while leaving the camera powered. The Battery Slide pro is designed to keep your rig powered and protected.
- Attaches directly to the back of the camera without rods
- Allows the user to hot swap batteries
- Fits rear profile of the Sony FX6 for compact packing in camera case
- Available in both Gold and V-Mount options
3. Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD Lens
Capable of achieving wide-angle to portrait-length images, the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD Lens is a versatile and powerful lens that makes a great addition to any FX6 rig. With a maximum aperture of f/2.8, users can achieve enhanced performance in low-light environments and exercise greater control over the depth of field. At a fairly low price point, this lens is a great choice for newcomers to the FX6 or longtime owners who shoot a variety of subjects and styles.
- Full-Frame Format
- Enhanced low-light performance
- Reduced spherical and chromatic aberrations
- Improved sharpness and clarity
- BBAR coating suppresses flare and ghosting
- Near-silent autofocus
- Budget friendly
4. Anton Bauer Titon Micro Batteries
At the crossroads of maximizing your rig’s power time and simultaneously minimizing its weight and footprint lies the tiny yet mighty Anton Bauer Titon Micro battery. Capable of powering rigs for hours, these sleek and lightweight power houses are a great way to optimize your FX6 rig. Weighing just around a pound each (depending on the model), the Titon Micro is also an excellent choice for remote shoots or areas where a power outlet may not be accessible.
- Available in 45, 90, and 150 Wh
- High-speed USB port
- One touch LED fuel gauge shows battery status
5. Wooden Camera Zip Box Pro
The Wooden Camera Zip Box Pro is a high-quality matte box with a rugged, lightweight design. It blocks unwanted light, prevents glare, and protects your lens from debris — no tools or add-ons needed.
- Interchangeable clamp-on backs/reduction rings
- Available in clamp-on or swing-away
- Three 4x5.65 filter trays
- Optional 4.5in Round Filter Stage
- Removable carbon-fiber top flag
6. SmallHD Cine 7
Twice as large as the FX6’s monitor, the SmallHD Cine7 offers a color accurate wide-gamut display, while maintaining a light and relatively small form. The Cine7’s size increase compared to the standard FX6 monitor is advantageous for easy viewing in a variety of environments. In addition to its sharp color and viewable size, the Cine7 also features camera control add-ons as well as Teradek RT and Bolt 4K integration! Paired with the next item in our list, this monitor becomes an obvious choice for the FX6.
- Full HD 7-inch IPS LCD with 1920x1200 resolution
- 10-bit color processing in 100% DCI-P3
- 1800nits of daylight brightness
7. SmallHD 7” Tilt Arm Mounting Solution
There are many different ways you can mount an external monitor to the camera (including an Ultra Arm from Wooden Camera) but with respect to the limited space for mounting, the dynamic Multi-Interface Shoe on the top of the handle provides a great place for a monitor - if you’re not using it for Sony wireless microphone systems. If that hot shoe is occupied by another accessory, Wooden Camera also has brand-new cold shoe accessories that would provide a perfect mounting point offset from the camera/top plate.
- Sturdy Construction
- Provides another offset cold shoe
- Tilts monitor for optimal viewing
8. Wooden Camera Zip Focus
An essential addition to any solo owner/operator’s rig, this single-rod follow focus is as compact as the FX6 itself, providing smooth focus pulls with a 1:1 ratio on all lens types.
- Includes Both .8 cine-mod gear and universal friction gear
- Can Be adjusted/flipped
- Two standard marking disksviewing
- One hard stop disk
9. Sachtler Aktiv6 Flowtech 75 MS Tripod System (Mid-Level)
Whether you’re considering upgrading to match your new FX6 or you’re interested in investing in a tripod that will stand by you (literally) for years, the Sachtler Aktiv6 Flowtech75 MS Tripod System is a solid choice. If you plan on keeping your FX6 for the foreseeable future, then pairing it with a tripod that will last just as long is imperative. Though more expensive than some other tripods, this reliable system makes up for its higher price tag through exceptional performance. Users can utilize smooth pans and tilts for fluid and professional shots alongside features like the SpeedSwap™ system for quick transitions from tripod to slider.
- SpeedLevel Technology
- SpeedSwap Base
- 17.6 lb Capacity Fluid Head
- Illuminated PrismBubble level
- Stepped Counterbalance and Drag
10. Sony 160GB CFexpress Type A TOUCH Memory Card
It may seem like a simple addition, but any filmmaker knows the value of a good memory card. The Sony 160GB CFexpress Type A TOUGH Memory Card sets itself apart by offering incredibly fast read and write speeds, allowing you to record in higher resolutions and bit-rates. Resistant to falls up to 15ft, high temperatures, X-rays and more, this memory card lives up to the ‘TOUGH’ part of its name. The price tag may seem high but for the features, storage and peace of mind this tank of a memory card provides, it’s well worth it.
- Max Read Speed: 800 MB/s
- Max Write Speed: 700 MB/s
- Rigidity tested to 70 N of force; can withstand falls from up to 15'
- Resistant to extreme temperatures, X-rays, electrostatic, and UV lighting
- File Rescue recovery software
- Media Scan Utility
From documentarians to cinematic filmmakers, the versatile Sony FX6 is finding itself in the hands of more and more professionals. Interested in seeing the versatility of shooting on the FX6, check out our interview with filmmaker Julien Jarry.
With its compact body and 4K full-frame sensor, it can serve as a jack of all trades in your production arsenal, especially when paired these top 10 Sony FX6 accessories from Wooden Camera and beyond.
Did we miss an essential accessory for the Sony FX6? What projects have you or will you be shooting with yours?
Let us know in the comments!